Each vinyl decal sold in my Etsy shop include vinyl application instructions. These are general vinyl instructions to apply vinyl to a wide range of applications. Find more detailed instructions to apply vinyl to different items and surfaces in the vinyl category on this blog.
I apply vinyl to many surfaces including, cars, car windows, glassware, tiles, unfinished and painted wood, mirrors, sport equipment, glasses, tumblers, picture frames, baby bottles, sippy cuts and much, much more…there are too many applications and surfaces to mention.
Vinyl is intended for single use and cannot be removed and reused. Additionally, when you apply vinyl as soon as it comes in contact with the surface you are placing it on, just go with it. Trying to remove it can cause it to stretch or damage the vinyl.
Apply Vinyl Decals
- Clean surface thoroughly and allow to dry. Rubbing alcohol is good to use to clean the surface as long as it will not damage the area the vinyl is being applied to. If you will be applying to car window, use glass cleaner to clean the area prior to apply the decal.
- Remove the backing from the decal by laying it right side up and rubbing on the transfer over the decal area to ensure the vinyl has adhered to the transfer. Then turn the decal face down and curl the backing from the decal slowly ensuring all parts of the decal are lifting from the backing and remain on the transfer.
- Position the decal in the desired location. Do not make contact with the surface until you are ready to apply the decal. Once it comes in contact with the surface it will be stuck.
- Apply pressure to the center of the decal, working from the center out. For best results, use a scraper or credit card while applying pressure, work your way outward.
- Carefully peel off transfer by starting at one of the corners and pulling the transfer in the opposite direction, folding the transfer away from the decal while pulling. Work slowly, if there is a piece of the decal that wants to stick to the transfer, lay the transfer back down, rub the area well to make it adhere to your surface and begin peeling again. Make sure the decal sticks to the surface before continuing to remove the transfer to avoid distortion or damage to the decal.
- Do not wash the surface for 24 to 48 hours to allow time for the vinyl to bond to the surface.